Supreme Court junks TRO plea vs SIM card registration

The Supreme Court has denied a plea to temporarily stop the implementation of the SIM card registration law.

The Supreme Court (SC) has denied the plea which sought the issuance of a temporary restraining order (TRO) against the government’s implementation of the SIM Card Registration Law.

In a press conference last April 25, SC spokesperson Brian Keith Hosaka said the justices made the ruling during an en banc deliberations in Baguio City.

The high court, instead, ordered the respondents including the National Telecommunication Commission, the National Privacy Commission, and telecommunication companies to comment on the petition within 10 days.

It was not immediately clear how the magistrates voted and why the TRO plea was junked.

The decision came on the same day President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. approved a 90-day extension of the SIM card registration. The original deadline was set on April 26.

To recall, the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines, activists, human rights defenders, and civil society leaders filed on April 17 a petition praying for a TRO against the SIM card registration law and declaring it unconstitutional.

The petitioners alleged SIM card registration constitutes prior restraint or government actions that prevent speech before it is made rather than punishing it after the fact.

Aside from allegedly violating the constitutional guarantee of freedom of speech, the petitioners also claimed the SIM card registration law violates the right to privacy.

The SIM Card Registration Law is said to be legislated to fight the perpetration of crimes such as text scams and spam.

As of April 24, government data showed 87.44 million or 52.04 percent of the 168 million active SIM cards had already been registered.

Thumbnail photo made via Canva

Total
0
Shares
Related Posts
Read More

‘Senate proves flaw on PH democracy on Sara Duterte impeachment case’

The International Coalition for Human Rights in the Philippines (ICHRP) Chairperson, Peter Murphy, has criticized the Philippine Senate's return of Vice President Sara Duterte's impeachment articles to the House, calling it a "blot on Philippine democracy." Murphy highlighted concerns over trial delays and potential cancellation, emphasizing the well-founded nature of the impeachment grounds, which include misuse of funds, unexplained wealth, and betrayal of public trust. He noted strong public and institutional support for the trial's continuation, urging the Senate to uphold its constitutional duty amidst protests. Murphy also called on the international community to uphold democratic standards and cease military aid to the Marcos Jr. administration, which he described as a "rogue state."