Cavite will receive five million doses of COVID-19 vaccine from the national government starting September until the end of the year, Governor Jonvic Remulla said Thursday.
“May firm commitment na po si Sec. Vince Dizon na sila ay magpapadala ng 5 million doses mula sa iba’t-ibang vaccine brands or manufacturers,” Remulla said in a Facebook post.
The governor added at least one million doses will be delivered to Cavite this September, while the rest will be sent progressively until December.
Remulla earlier said Cavite needs at least six million vaccine doses to inoculate 70% of its population and to achieve herd immunity.
The province has so far administered one million doses, with roughly 500,000 residents fully vaccinated against COVID-19, he added.
To recall, Remulla appealed last week to the national government to let local government units (LGUs) purchase their own jabs due to the delayed supply of COVID-19 vaccines in the province.
The provincial government previously allotted P2.5 billion to procure Novavax vaccines which are expected to arrive until the last quarter of the year.
Cavite is under modified enhanced community quarantine until the first week of September. The province still has 11,947 active carriers of the virus as of September 1.