The Regional Tripartite Wages and Productivity Board-CALABARZON (RTWPB 4-A) spearheaded last May 16 a public hearing on petitions seeking a salary increase for minimum wage earners in the region.
The public hearing, which was held at the provincial hall in Trece Martires City, was attended by RTWPB IV-A Chairman and Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) IV-A Regional Director Ezekiel Ronie de Guzman, Vice Governor Jolo Revilla, and representatives of labor groups, laborers, and management groups.
To recall, Revilla filed last year a resolution to increase the salary of minimum wage earners in Cavite. The last time that the wage board approved a pay hike in the province was in 2018.
“Apat na taon na ang nakalipas mula nang huling itinaas ang sahod ng mga manggagawa sa Cavite. Napapanahon na para itaas ito ngayon, lalo na’t walang tigil ang pagtaas ng presyo ng mga bilihin dahil na din sa pagtaas ng presyo ng petrolyo,” said the vice governor in a press release.
Revilla added that it is high time to match the daily minimum wage in Cavite with that of the National Capital Region.
“Kung titignan natin ang distansiya ng mga bayan at lungsod ng Cavite sa NCR, hindi pa aabot sa halos 6KM ang layo ng Bacoor, 10KM ang layo ng Imus habang 13KM naman sa Kawit. Kaya marapat lamang na ipantay ang sahod sa mga karatig na lugar ng NCR dahil kung ano ang presyo ng mga bilihin sa NCR, gayundin sa Cavite,” he also said.
Revilla has proposed to give workers an additional P125 in their daily minimum wage, raising the current P373 rate to P498.
DOLE IV-A Regional Director de Guzman, meanwhile, assured they will come up with a decision about the new minimum wage in Calabarzon less than 30 days after the public hearing.
“Positibo ang aking pagtingin na maitataas natin ang sahod ng mga manggagawa hindi lamang sa Cavite, kundi sa buong rehiyon,” De Guzman said.
With this development, Revilla said he is expecting to settle the new wage rate before his term as vice governor ends and before he officially assume his position as 1st district congressman in June.
Thumbnail photo courtesy of Partido Manggagawa